Sunday, July 18, 2010

On True Blood Season 3 Episode 5

I've decided to post about True Blood once a week. I love all the characters and the dialogue, and am thoroughly emotionally invested. I've also been reading Charlaine Harris's novels, and I love both the book and the television series. Season 3 hasn't been as good as the previous seasons of True Blood so far. There has been too much sex and not enough character development. I love good sex scenes as much as the next person if they have a purpose in the show, but in the case of True Blood season 3, the sex has been gratuitous and served no purpose other than to make the show "edgier". Instead of wasting time with these pointless scenes, the show should focus more on Sookie's sadness at the loss of Bill and her determination to get him back. These emotions have been only been glossed over. The witty dialogue full of social criticism that was present in the first and second seasons has been absent this season so far. Lafayette was the best part of the show for the first three episodes of the third season, and I was beginning to think that I would stop watching after the fourth season, but I think it's getting better so I may continue watching longer. However, the other actors have continued to do a good job with the material that they're given, so I give the show kudos for that. In the fifth episode, we learn more about Eric's past and his devotion to Pam. The suspense of the show is beginning to build again. However, there were two main things that bothered me about this most recent episode. One being the relationship between Franklin and Tara. It's creepy and sort of reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast, (though I guess all the relationships between humans and vampires in the series are somewhat similar to Beauty and the Beast). There is just nothing interesting or sweet about it like their is in Bill and Sookie or Eric and Sookie's relationship. Another thing tha bothered me was the fight scene between Russell and the werewolves and Alcide, Bill and Sookie. It just looked weird. Though, the new development in Sookie's powers is cool and definitely piques my interest enough to keep me watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment